St Annes

History & Centenary

The St Anne’s Chapel has always played a central role in the lives of our girls. The College Chapel was built shortly after the school moved to Hilton Road and is a place of calm, peace and quiet where girls go to reflect and worship. Windows make up a substantial portion of the chapel walls and let pretty coloured light in through the numerous stained-glass designs. A lot of history is tied to the windows that adorn the brick and stone walls; most of them gifted to the College over the years.


2011

Bishop Rubin came to preach and preside at our Foundation Day Service in honour of our 100 Year Celebration. Beautiful, artistic flower arrangements representing the different events from the life of Jesus adorned the chapel, sculpted by talented floral artists on the staff.

2011__Bishop_leading_100_Year_celebrations
2011__Bishop_leading_100_Year_celebrations
2011__Bishop_leading_100_Year_celebrations

2007

The Bishop led the blessing of the extension to the chapel in 2007. The beautiful Rose Window was a welcome addition to our chapel and has become a focal point and gives lasting meaning to all members of our College community.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2006

The second extension of the chapel started in 2006. It involved having to remove and preserve the original spire during the construction phase.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

1912

The Bishop was at great pains to explain that the College Chapel should not be seen as a rival to the Village Parish, as it fulfilled a different need.

1912__St_Anne_s_College_Chapel_Opens_at_Hilton_Road

1911

The girls of St Anne’s began fundraising in 1905, shortly after moving to Hilton Road, in order to build a new chapel at the College. By 1907 enough funds had been raised and Sir Herbert Baker was commissioned to submit plans. The Foundation Stone was laid in 1911 and the Chapel was finally completed in 1912. The Chapel remained as it was until it's first extension in 1954.

Chapel 1938

1880s

The original chapel at St Anne’s in Loop Street, Pietermaritzburg

1880s - St. Anne's Chapel
1880s - St. Anne's Chapel
Back to Top